Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wedding Wednesday- Top Ten TV Weddings

My brother Thomas recommended this for this week's blog, since I am sick of writing about weddings. So here are some weddings and some inspiration from them.

10. Any wedding on any reality tv wedding show- I guess Say Yes to the Dress includes no actual weddings, but I can't even tell you how much we have learned from Four Weddings- we now know exactly what kind of stuff people complain about weddings (food and bad timing seem to be at the top of the list). I think if the Boy could he would put us on that show, and I shudder to think of all the ways he considers our wedding a competition.
from aggroswag.wordpress.com
9.Jim and Pam's wedding- Ok, the mash up of the super intimate Maid of the Mist wedding and the kooky dancing wedding is cute, but I don't think this wedding is really all that. First, it marks a distinct turn in Office writing, where all the kooky characters have become relatable, so Jim and Pam no longer come off as tortured and ironic, but mostly just seem like whiney dicks. Those people choreographed a dance for you, and you are complaining? I agree they are a great tv moment, but you watch it back and it just isn't their shining moment. On the other hand, the shot with her on his shoulder and him smiling, a la pilot episode, is ridiculously sweet.
from www.fempop.com
8. Leon and Scott's Wedding on Roseanne- I think I have seen this wedding only on Nick at Night, but I bunch of times. Totally ridiculous, and sort of both ahead of it's time and weirdly dated, but memorable all the same.
from www.fanpop.com
7.Corey and Topanga on Boy meets World- Oh, how I love Corey and Topanga. The best episode, actually, is the one about planning a wedding ("Let me touch something!"), but this is a sweet moment for one of the cutest tv couples on one of the most bizarrely-toned tv shows ever. Extremely sweet, but if my wedding looks anything like this, I would probably not be happy.
from www.evelynclarkweddings.com
6. Charlotte and Harry on Sex and the City-  Ok, first and foremost, she looks ridiculously amazing. That dress is perfect, even if the wedding had some flies in its ointment. Probably the best message of any wedding episode, which is basically that the wedding is no indicator of the marriage; if you are marrying the right guy, it doesn't matter how many things set on fire (unless he does, in which case you are in trouble).
from fanpop.com
5. Kate and William- Ok, mostly it was really stuffy and boring, but I LOVED the trees in the church. Also, check the reception look: bolero and bow tie. Maybe we are more trendy than we thought!
from fanpop.com

4. Monica and Chandler- I love that they manage to really capitalize on monica's inner Bridezilla before that became a thing and Chandler's character flaws as well, but it just makes it that much better when they make it down the aisle. I also really love the Chandler learning to dance/ having bad shoes plot line. A good one, but way more formal and fussy than ours.
from thebudgetsavvybride.com
3. April and Andy on Parks and Recreation- Ok, there are so many things to love about this wedding, but the best might be Rob Lowe's dancing. If you could get him to perform his lines from Scott Peterson, it would truly be the best wedding of all time. Not only was the wedding a total shock and completely different from anything that is on tv elsewhere, it also shows Parks and Recreation's greatest strength when it is at it's best; a perfect balance of total quirky hilarity and a genuine love that you actually feel. These characters really care about each other and their guests and they manage to express that in 22 minutes without it ever getting too mushy, smarmy, or heavy.


from www.policymic.com
2. Lily and Marshall's Wedding on How I Met Your Mother- Probably the best tv couple ever; Marshall and Lily set the bar for committed tv love that still seems really fun and romantic. Their wedding was no exception, and I loved that they had their own moment before the real deal that was so sincere and honest and weird in the way that two people with mutual weirdness should let their wedding be weird. Maybe could have missed the shaved head (or just finished the job?) but I loved it all the same.

from scrubs.wikia.com
1.  Turk and Carla's Wedding on Scrubs- Ok, so maybe it isn't the most romantic way for a wedding to go down (I would for serious kill the Boy if he did that to me), but the show and that relationship are super romantic in a very real way. I also wish Ted's band was playing our reception. Plus, these wedding shows never seem to show people having a really good time/ love dramas at the reception- they always show the drama leading up, but I want to see people having a good time!

Ok, so my original plan was to pair the weddings with "lessons learned" but all of the weddings I really liked, like maybe the top 5, have the same lesson; be you, be happy, and lots of crazy stuff is going to happen but do it your way and it will be fine. As long as you end up married (even if it is by your patient) you have essentially accomplished your goal, so figure out how to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment